The Dougherty Arts Center is proud to present the first annual Art Happens Here Spring Fling Festival, a one-day juried art show that connects fine artists with the community. Think of it as a show-and-tell exhibit, sale, and all-day art workshop party! Attendees will be able to meet artists and sample art techniques both new and known through artist demonstrations and hands-on activities.
The Art Happens Here Spring Fling Festival will be held on the grounds and inside the Dougherty Arts Center. Considered the Heart of the Arts in Austin, The Dougherty Arts Center is the City of Austin’s oldest community arts center. Centrally located in downtown Austin, the Dougherty is surrounded by Butler Park, the Ann & Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail, Zilker Park and Barton Springs, and various restaurants and attractions.
The mission of the Dougherty Arts Center (DAC) is to support emerging through established artists who create, showcase, and experience the arts first hand. We envision the DAC as Austin’s cultural living room where people of all ages, races, ethnicities, abilities, genders, sexual orientations, socio-economic statuses, nationalities, and religions gather to create community through the arts.
Event Contact Info
Dougherty Arts Center
1110 Barton Springs Rd
Austin, TX 78744
Show Date and Hours
Saturday, June 1, 2019
The Dougherty Arts Center welcomes art exhibitors in the following categories:
· 2D: Painting, Watercolor, Oil, Acrylic, Drawing, Pastel, Photography, Mixed-Media, Printmaking/Graphics, Digital, Other
· 3D: Sculpture, Wood, Metal, Ceramics, Clay, Fiber, Glass, Jewelry, Mixed Media, Stone, Other.
· Free booth space ($50 Single Day Concession Permit required to sell on City property)
· Onsite Security
· Welcome goody bag with free snacks for each artist
· Free nearby parking for artists
· Opportunity to share artist techniques through scheduled demonstrations
· Booth sitters to assist during artist breaks/demonstrations
· Artist list on Dougherty website for promotion
· No percentage collected; artist keeps sales
· Event advertising and promotion
· Free public admission
· Application available: April 1, 2019
· Application deadline: May 1, 2019
· Artist notification: May 6, 2019
· Invitation acceptance deadline: May 10, 2019
· Wait list contacted to fill vacancies begins: May 13, 2019
· Vendor Permit acquisition deadline: May 24, 2019
· Artist check-in, setup at event: 10-11:30am, June 1, 2019
$50 Single Day Concession Permit must be acquired upon artist acceptance to festival. The Dougherty Arts Center will provide instructions for obtaining the permit. Artists who do not obtain a Single Day Concession Permit will not be eligible to exhibit.
Artist may apply at doughertyartscenter.submittable.com/submit and should have the following items ready:
· A short description (3-5 sentences) about you and your work, including materials and techniques.
· Five (5) images of your work showing the medium and quality of the work you intend to display. Images should be 300dpi and at least 1600 pixels on the longest side. Images may be used for promotional purposes in print and online.
· Booth Preference: booth spaces will be available as exterior 10’x10’ full, 10’x10’ shared (approximately 5’x10’), and interior 4’x6’.
Applications are reviewed and selected based on quality, content, and how the work represents or speaks to Austin audiences. Final selection is approved by the Dougherty Arts Center management to produce a festival diverse in mediums and subject matter.
· Artists must be present during the entire event and must personally staff their booth space. Volunteer booth sitters will be available to cover for artists during breaks and demonstrations.
· All artwork in every category must be the original, handcrafted creation of the approved artist (no kits, mass-produced or manufactured items accepted). Artwork exhibited must match the quality and style of work as represented in the jury process. The Dougherty Art Center reserves the right to refuse display of work that is not consistent with submitted images.
· Artists chosen to participate are responsible for collecting and paying applicable taxes for all sales made at the event. Artists must have sales tax permit certificate on hand during the festival.
· Artist must comply with all staff and security regarding safety and regulations. Vehicles must be parked only in designated areas; non-compliance will result in elimination from consideration for any future shows.
· Artists may not occupy space outside their assigned booth space.
· The Dougherty Arts Center may use selected artist images for festival advertising.
· This event is a family-oriented event. Artwork intended for mature audiences will not be considered. On-site representatives will be enforcing this policy throughout the show.
· Booth spaces are available as exterior 10’x10’, exterior 10’x10’ shared (approximately 5’x10’), and interior 4’x6’ spaces.
· Booth spaces are assigned by the Dougherty Arts Center staff and are not interchangeable and may not be transferred or traded. Booth preferences will be taken into considerations, but are not guaranteed.
· If issued an exterior space, artists must provide their own white 10’x10’ tent and weights (no stakes allowed).
· Artists must keep all displays and items (including storage) contained to their issued space. There will be no extra storage outside of your booth.
· Artists must supply all display materials, screens, chairs, tables, etc. Displays must be professional and aesthetically pleasing. Tables may be available upon request for interior 4’x6’ spaces (limited quantity).
· If issued a shared 10’x10’ exterior booth, artists will be given the contact information of their booth partner and are responsible for connecting with their partner to plan for your booth set-up together.
Artist demonstrations will take place throughout the festival. If you would like to demonstrate your techniques, please indicate so on your application and provide a brief description of what you will be demonstrating. Artists are responsible for all supplies needed for demonstrations.
Artist Check-in and Setup
Artist check-in and setup will take place between 10-11:30am on the day of the festival.
Event staff will greet you as you arrive, provide you an artists’ packet and direct you to your booth location. The artists’ packet will include your name badge, booth number, and parking pass. Please wear your name badge during festival hours. Place your parking pass on the dashboard of your vehicle (no vehicle will be allowed in the designated vendor parking area without a parking pass).
Artists must be completely set up for the festival opening at 12pm.
Security will be provided, but the Dougherty Arts Center is not responsible for any damage or loss of work or equipment and supplies due to theft, weather, etc.
Art Happens Here Spring Fling Festival does not have an inclement weather date. The event will go on as planned even in rainy or inclement weather conditions. The Dougherty Arts Center reserves the right to cancel the event if necessary due to unsafe conditions. For weather cancellation information, call 512-974-4000.
Artists should anticipate inclement weather and bring rain covers, tie-downs and weights.