The Julia C. Butridge Gallery is now accepting Exhibit Proposals for 2024.
The deadline to submit an exhibit proposal has been extended to March 5, 2023 at 11:59pm.
The Julia C. Butridge Gallery (JCB Gallery) is located in the Dougherty Arts Center, a multicultural community arts venue that provides personal and professional development opportunities for community members through creative arts.
The JCB Gallery celebrates a wide array of artists with diverse practices promoting the livelihood of Austin’s vital art culture by offering as many opportunities as possible to both emerging and established artists. Visitors enjoy an exceptional 2,000 square feet of exhibit space in the South gallery and 480 square feet in the East and West galleries. The natural collision of creative activity at the arts center contributes to the gallery’s long standing reputation among the arts community as an accessible and nurturing arts venue.
There is no fee to submit an exhibit proposal and all related exhibits and events are free and open to the public.
How to Apply for the JCB Gallery 2024 Season
Submit your application by the extended deadline of March 5, 2023 with the following items:
1. Exhibit Proposal
2. Artist(s) Statement
3. Digital Images
- Individual artists must submit 10 – 20 Digital Images of artwork completed in the past 5 years.
- Small groups of up to 6 collaborating artists must submit 5 – 8 Digital Images by each participating artist of work completed in the past 5 years.
- Organizations and larger groups must submit 2 - 5 Digital Images by each participating artist of work completed in the past 5 years.
4. Image List Please include image file number, artist name, title of piece, year created, medium and dimensions of all images uploaded.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How often do the exhibits change?
- The Julia C. Butridge Gallery strives to provide as many opportunities for artists to exhibit as we can accommodate. To achieve that goal, our exhibits change every 4-8 weeks. Length of exhibits are determined by exhibit space and the scheduling and/or occurrence of other events that affect the gallery.
How are the exhibits selected?
- Applications are carefully reviewed by a different panel of jurors each year (names are not disclosed) to promote a balanced season. Applicants are not guaranteed a slot. Final gallery selections and programming are approved by Dougherty Arts Center Management. The criteria used by the panel is broad. Jurors rate applications on criteria such as quality, content, and how the work represents or speaks to Austin audiences. Additional criteria is taken into consideration by Dougherty Arts Center Management, such as strong and relevant themes, creating a season diverse in mediums, subject matter, artist backgrounds, collaborations, and with the exception of our education partners, how recently the artist(s) exhibited in the JCB Gallery.
How often may an artist apply and/or exhibit?
- An artist may apply each year that a Call for Exhibits is opened, however, priority consideration will be given to artists who have NOT exhibited in the gallery within the last 5 years of the season for which applications are currently being accepted.
What restrictions are there for works of art?
- Few restrictions are placed on the specific work selected. However, during months with a high volume of activities for children, we schedule work that is more appropriate for audiences of all ages. Graphic subject matter will not be selected.
Can works of art in the exhibit be sold to the public?
- Artists may sell work directly to the public unless they are a City of Austin employee. The Julia C. Butridge Gallery does NOT take a commission, and the Dougherty staff does not handle purchases for the artists.
Who is responsible for hanging the exhibit?
- Once offered a spot on the season, exhibiting artists install and help promote their own exhibit. Artists provide all their own hardware and tools, and install the work. The Dougherty Art Center staff will prepare the walls between exhibits, guide artists through specific installation standards and policies, and will focus the lighting.
Is the artwork insured while it is at the JCB Gallery?
- Exhibits are afforded property insurance coverage under the Fine-Arts Floater on the City of Austin property insurance policy. The City of Austin is not liable for any damage in an amount falling below the deductible. The artist is responsible for obtaining Commercial General Liability and Host Liquor Liability Insurance for installation, deinstallation, and related events if determined necessary.
Will the JCB Gallery provide marketing?
- Artists are responsible for promoting their own exhibit, however the JCB Gallery includes descriptions and images of exhibits in Dougherty Arts Center marketing, which may include a website, brochure, newsletters, calendar listings, social media, or other media outlets as available.
When will I know if my exhibit is selected?
- Applicants will be notified by March 31, 2023, for the 2024 season.
Who can I contact if I have any questions?
- Contact JCBGallery@austintexas.gov
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Click submit and scroll down to view form.